Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Sensitivities

Since Lent, my face has been red, inflamed.
My sister figured out that it was not a breakout,
But a rash, symmetrical, around my mouth.

I have tried for nine months to determine
The dietary cause. Some foods, on eating,
Make my face flare instantly.
But which one item in the multigrain chip?
Which one food in the locally made kraut?
Which one nut (or two) in the granola?

I finally gave up, and paid the big bucks
For the precision of bloodwork,
Teasing out the intricacies of sensitivities.

I learned the results today. Of the foods I eat
In a given year, I list the ones now restricted,
For three months to forever,
In order of the personal grief,
A lament, of sorts, for the foods that
I shall not enjoy.

Cow’s milk/butter/cheese
Spelt
Cane sugar
Pinto Beans
Cabbage
Cocoa
Apples
Maple sugar
Soybeans/tamari
Vanilla
Sesame
Basil
Parsley
Zucchini
Cashews
Blackberry
Goat’s milk/feta
Dates
Mango
Honey
Pecan
Beet
Grapes/Raisins
Black beans
Sardines
Strawberry
Cayenne/red pepper flakes
Cucumber
Pear
Plum/prune
Radish/horseradish/mustard greens
Spinach
Cantaloupe
Cloves

No comments:

Post a Comment