Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Excusing Away Sin

A friend mentioned to Phil

That she thinks I’m always trying

To come up with excuses for sin. 


This child is melting down

Because of wheat or sugar.


This child can’t focus 

Because of undeveloped pons and midbrain.


This child is schoolwork challenged 

Because of vision issues.


All these are accurate.

But only because I’ve watched

My even-keeled son have night terrors 

with wheat and sugar,

My solid son turn teary.


I’ve seen the difference in the family

With a more fully developed pons and midbrain.


And I’ve seen a son blossom 

With the glasses he needs.


And I think about how terribly much

I hate being accused of something untrue about myself,

And I do not ever want to do that to my boys.


If there’s a chance they are working as best they can,

That deserves praise, 

Not accusations of laziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment