Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Treasure Hunt

Mind-dull with a head cold’s fatigue,
I found on my door, this post-it note:
“There starts the treasure hunt: out door.”

And so I followed the trail of post-it notes,
Lovingly placed by one son,
While the other four sons bounded ahead and swarmed behind,
One keeping up a color commentary.

There was a red herring, the word “Fire,” which,
When I opened the cold stove to take the note,
Found, “Not here,” an unexpected full stop.
Nor did it mean lighter, candle, matches, or Lego flames
(Eventually I realized: an electronic device).

This was not, strictly speaking, a treasure hunt,
As the prize was only the encouraging note:
“You made it yay!!!!!”

And yet, there was a treasure.
The thought and care and kindness that was given in
The several dozen clues.
The companionship of sons.

Let me not dismiss this treasure
Simply because there was nothing tangible.

No comments:

Post a Comment