Saturday, April 18, 2015

Provided

Normally if Phil goes out of town,
He’s gone from Sunday to Friday.
It’s manageable, and I’m used to it.

Fourteen years ago, he was gone eight days
And I thought he looked different when he came
Back, and it took us a week or eight days
To remerge our lives.

I have a little more than two days to go now
In this, a nine day separation.
We’ve had a few brief hellos, and one fifteen minute talk.
I thought I was doing well.

Then I drove up to town and found myself
Feeling teary in the produce section.
This has happened before, surrounded by so many beautiful
Options, and I had just been listening to songs of
Resurrection. Of course I was teary. But I glanced over
And a man and woman
Were just talking and it made me catch my breath
In wonder and longing.

No more than half a minute later,
I looked up to see a dear friend,
A friend I had considered calling to see if she would
Accompany me in my shopping,
But had delayed so long it would have been
Impractical. She had debated: Go? Stay? Go?
And came, and there she was, in my moment of loneliness.

Not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment