Friday, April 19, 2019

The Irony

I was dutifully recording notes

From a book on prayer. 


They were probably helpful reminders. 

And my son, bored, joined me.


I noticed his feet were uncomfortably close

To my open computer, and warned him.


“Be careful.” 

But he’s five.


If I really worried, 

I should have been the adult, and moved away.


And, yes, sooner or later, he tried to stick his feet

In a pillowcase, and that rebounded on my keys.


“Stop! Don’t hurt my computer!”

And I could feel the anger suffuse my face


As I threw the pillow off the bed.

He stared at me, impassive for a moment.


Until I recollected myself,

And closed the computer,


And said, “I probably just scared you, didn’t I?”

Then the face crumpled, and the tears began.


Sobbing, he hid his face.

And I needed to ask his forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment