Monday, December 25, 2017

A Grace

Sweaty and wilting after our
Walking and waiting in the
Humid Nashville air,
We all went for a welcome swim
Until we were cold and pruney.

Back in the room, we showered.
Boys watched a movie.
Phil, Caleb, and I slept.

By evening, though, I was restless.
The air conditioner would not turn off,
So even perpetually hot Phil was chilled.
The water in the wee wet bar sink trickled.
The food I’d brought was sufficient, but running low.

The route home showed few red zones,
And I figured . . . surely those will all clear
In the eight hours it takes us to drive back.
And to sleep in our own beds
Even for a few hours, from daybreak to midmorning. . . .

Phil was game. It was 7pm in Nashville.
We quickly packed up, and Phil headed down
To check out. The clerk was taken aback.

Before all Starbucks closed for the night,
We stopped for four grande lattes,
Enough to fuel the driver.

And we drove, hour after hour.
The rest areas were overflowing,
Cars parked even leading in, let alone out.
There were spots of construction.
There were places that were entirely stopped.

This is the reality of I-81, though,
As both Phil and I, driving at different times,
Have hit stops there.

The trip home took the same 9.5 hours
As the trip out.
We fell into bed
Gratefully.
I slept three hours and
Spent the rest of the day
Preparing for an out-of-town trip.
To bed by 9pm, I even got a
Good night’s sleep before the 3am alarm.

Such was the story,
And I liked the story.

Until I was talking to a friend.
Her son had gone south
To the center of totality.
Anticipating horrid traffic,
He, too, stayed until Tuesday.
Blithely headed home,
He was stopped by a crash
With fatality.
The six hour drive took fourteen.

Had we stuck to our original plan,
We would have hit that spot at precisely
The same time. The ideal eight hour drive
Would have taken sixteen or so.

I probably would have still
Made my flight,
But without a day to prepare,
With only a few hours.

And since I would have known that
We could have left the night before,
But didn’t . . . I would have had
A hard time
Forgiving myself.

This new story leaves me weak at the knees,
Overwhelmed by how narrowly
We missed having our happy story
Erased by a nightmarish car trip.


Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment