Sunday, January 3, 2016

One Less Concern

I don’t drive the tractor.
One time, going up a hill,
The steering wheel came off
In my hand, and as I rolled
Backwards down the hill
Towards the creek,
I remembered again
Why big vehicles scare me.

This did happen,
But I doubt it was actually
As terrifying as it felt to me.
I don’t drive the tractor.

Isaiah is Phil’s mini-me,
The one who happily backs it
Out of the barn,
Steers around the farm.

But as good as he is,
He isn’t experienced
At driving in slick conditions.
Or maneuvering in tight spaces.

It has been a concern of mine
That if Phil died unexpectedly,
I would not only have to deal
With my grief,
And the grief of five sons,
I would have to deal with
Keeping alive large animals
Who eat hay in large bales,
Delivered by a tractor
That I don’t drive.

Today, I have one less concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment