Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Learning

As much hospitality as we have practiced,
Each month, I feel I learn something new.

One month, I had to examine why,
After a five hour party,
I felt bereft when guests left.

I wanted seven hour visits with each.
I needed an adjustment in expectation.

One month, I had to release the outcome to God.
I do what I can, but the end result is not up to me.
If people had a great time, or not a great time,
I could give that to him.

One month, I knew a guest was coming
Who I had not met but was described as a bit grumpy.
When this guest arrived, frown on face,
I expected that, and had compassion.

Normally, I would have run through the list
Of all the ways the farm had already spoiled the visit:
Long drive down, dog greeting, mud, unfinished exterior….

But perhaps it is okay to acknowledge that maybe
A person is just grumpy.

I can love grumpiness for a few hours,
And neither try to change it, nor lift it,
But just love through it.

This was a new freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment