Monday, March 16, 2015

In Time

Five Christmases ago,
Living in the squalid trailer,
I requested a splurge,
An organic honey purifying masque,
Something frivolous and feminine,
Expensive and disposable.
Something not like my life.

And when it came, the instructions:
Place warm washcloth over face to open pores.

I thought about what that would entail.
A trip outside into the cold December air.
Lighting the burner on a stove with a broken lighter.
Warming water in a pot.
Maybe cleaning the pot first.
Finding a washcloth, which might not be possible
If it had been some time since we did laundry.

I put the masque away sadly, unopened,
Another reminder of our
Unconventional, sometimes painful, life.

The masque expired in September 2012.

I opened it today, turned on the faucet,
Wet a clean washcloth from my cupboard
With warm water
And indulged in my frivolous and expensive masque.

I just needed a little time.

2 comments: