Sunday, May 18, 2014

Nightly Blessing

In middle school, I would stay up late and read
Nancy Drew and suck the salt
Off pretzels (even though I’d brushed my teeth already).

If a child is going to be sneaky,
It could be worse.

When I’d hear footsteps on the stairs,
I’d click off my light and try to
Regulate my startled breathing,
Pretend to be asleep.

My Dad came nightly,
And stood in the hall in the midst
Of his four children (three asleep).

“The LORD bless you and keep you.
The LORD make his face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you.
The LORD lift up his countenance upon you
And give you his peace,
Through Jesus Christ our Lord and our Savior.

Sleep tight, kids,
Mommy and Daddy love you.
We’ll see you in the morning.”

My parents did a lot of things right.
This was one of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment